3rd Notice on the impact by the Major Earthquake in Northeastern Japan
March 31, 2011
The Nikon Group would express our deepest condolences to the victims of the earthquake and extend our profound sympathy and heartfelt concern to those individuals and families suffering from the disaster.
The following is an update regarding Nikon Corporation and its group manufacturing facilities.
- Safety of the employees
As have previously informed, to our deepest regret, death of one employee of Sendai Nikon Corporation has been confirmed and safety of three employees is not yet confirmed in the area of Natori City, Miyagi Prefecture.
- Reopen of operation at the manufacturing facilities and outlook on the future production
One of our own plants and seven of our manufacturing subsidiaries are located in the disastrous region of Miyagi Prefecture, Tochigi Prefecture and Ibaraki Prefecture *. All of these facilities have resumed their operation now with reopen by yesterday, March 30 of Sendai Nikon Corporation and Miyagi Nikon Precision Co., Ltd.
It has been becoming clearer that we will be able to secure parts/components including their replacements through our investigation of the current conditions and possible measures to secure the procurement in our collaboration with our business partners. However, we have a concern that the situation may continue where our production cannot fully satisfy our customers’ requirement due to inability of full swing production worsened by the planned blackouts of electricity. While we will do our utmost effort to overcome such expected difficulties, we will be most grateful if our customers could understand such circumstances.
- Forecast of effect by the damage to our business performances
We are continuing our endeavor to evaluate how the immediate damage by the disaster and planned blackouts of electricity will result in our group companies and business performances. We will announce our findings immediately when it is judged that there will be important change in our forecast.
* Locations of each plant and manufacturing subsidiaries
• Mito Plant, Nikon Corporation : Mito, Ibaraki Pref.
• Sendai Nikon Corporation : Natori, Miyagi Pref.
• Miyagi Nikon Precision Co., Ltd. : Zao-machi, Katta-gun, Miyagi Pref.
• Zao factory, Nikon-Trimble Co., Ltd. : Zao-machi, Katta-gun, Miyagi Pref.
• Tochigi Nikon Corporation : Otawara, Tochigi Pref.
• Tochigi Nikon Precision Co., Ltd. : Otawara, Tochigi Pref.
• Kurobane Nikon Co., Ltd. : Otawara, Tochigi Pref.
• Nasu Nikon Co., Ltd. : Nasukarasuyama, Tochigi Pref.
Nikon-Trimble Co., Ltd. is an equity-method company.
Nasu Nikon Co., Ltd. is a subsidiary of Nikon-Essilor Co., Ltd. which is an equity-method company.