From Nikon: Modifications enabled with this upgrade of firmware, release date January 29, 2013
- Subject tracking performance in AF-C (continuous-servo autofocus) autofocus mode with framing using the viewfinder has been improved.
Basic Upgrade instructions*
IMPORTANT - The firmware cannot be upgraded when Network> Network connection in the setup menu is set to ON. Be sure to set Network connection to OFF before attempting to upgrade the firmware.
- Create a new folder with an appropriate name on your computer.
- Choose the correct download below for the computer system you are using, and save the download to the folder created in step 1.
- Run the downloaded file to create the folder titled D4Update, containing the following file: D4_0104.bin
- Format an approved memory card in the camera, then remove .
- Copy the D4_0104.bin file to the top level of the memory card using a memory card reader or similar device, do not copy the file into any folder on the memory card.
- Insert memory card into the cameras memory card slot, and switch on.
- Select Firmware Version from the setup menu and follow the instructions displayed to upgrade the camera's firmware.
- DO NOT switch off the camera at any time during the update, doing so may result in the need for service.
- After the upgrade is complete, trun the camera off and remove the memory card.
- Check the cameras firmware version to be sure it completed.
- Format memory card in camera for use.
* - Firmware updates can be performed for you at authorized Nikon service centers.
Download the complete firmware update instructions here.
Download the Nikon D4 A:1.04 / B:1.02 firmware: Windows | Macintosh